Monday 19 January 2009

W.c. 12th January


On Monday I attended what was to have been the penultimate Older Peoples Housing Overview & Scrutiny Committee meeting, but because we hadn't in my opinion and that of Councillor Barbara Dring, looked deeply enough in to certain areas, we both persuaded the chair to add at least one more meeting to cover the three issues we raised.

Later that day I attended two Labour Group meetings, both of which considerable time was given up to tomorrows Full Council and one particular item. Gaza and what is happening there is in my personal opinion, nothing but genocide. I understand the need of Israel, their need for security, that no one wants to have missiles landing in your own back garden, in reality no one should be firing off missiles, but what I've seen on TV, read in the papers and heard on the radio of the too high numbers of innocent civilians being killed, is totally unacceptable
When will the politicians in this region accept fully and implement both of the UN resolutions 1850 & 1860.

On Tuesday as predicted the opposition party leaders wouldn't sign up to a statement drawn up by The Labour Group, (mainly by Albert Bore),which I find abhorrent, they call themselves Democrats, yet will stand-by while men, women and children are killed on both sides of the border.
I have to say my admiration for three of the speakers in today's debate went up, Councillor Yaqoob started the proceedings, with Councillor James Hutchings and Councillor Tahir Ali giving good speeches as well.
After Councillor, I drove over to my ward to meet up with members of Druids Heath HLB and bought them all a drink.

Wednesday saw me doing a walkabout with Druids Heath HLB, even though I turned up late and they had already set off, but after a quick drive around I found them.
Later in the day I attended The Birmingham County Scout Executive Committee meeting, followed with my attendance at Tame Valley Scout Executive Committee meeting, closer too home.
Thursday morning I did a walkabout around the Allens Croft Area, with one of the Neighbourhood managers Richard Green, no one else turned up, however we went ahead and between us agreed to sort out a few eyesores and tackle a couple of other issues.
While I was in the area, I did my "Doctor" routine calling upon a couple of householders who had issues requiring my attention.
In the afternoon I had a really good session with the Acting Constituency Housing manager at the Yardley Wood office, meeting up with the new Housing manager for my ward Julie.
Today's (Friday)Overview and Scrutiny Finance sub-committee was useless, no one (the Council's well paid officers) knew the answers to questions put to them by Councillors, Councillor Len Clarke was getting quite frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment