Wednesday 21 January 2009

W.c. 19th January

This week is starting off well.
On Monday I ensured that all of my documents, to allow me to stand as a Labour Party candidate in the next local elections, were handed in at The Regional Party Headquarters, while I was there spent some time briefing one of Nina Gill's office workers on housing issues here in Birmingham.



Dawberry Fields
The skatebowl in Dawberry Fields Park is, in my opinion dangerous, the Council has sat on it's behind, doing nothing for the past three months, after two foxes were trapped in deep water in November. This is a typical example of poorly thought through planning where the potential hazards to people and urban wildlife has not been taken into consideration. There are better designed skateboard bowls I've seen with steps at one end which allows anything, more importantly anyone, falling into it, a way back out. Are they waiting for a tragic accident to occur before doing anything?Given the current situation, I won't hold back from criticising those I hold responsible for this fiasco, including local politicians, who should have been overseeing this project, well before I became the local Councillor.
http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2009/01/22/anger-over-steps-delay-97319-22752912/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7729040.stm



Well it's official, Billesley Fire Station remains. It seems that common sense has prevailed, after West Midlands Fire Service announced that they won't be closing this station which serves a great deal of Brandwood Ward. Obviously the public consultation, or should I say the lack of it, coupled with the considerable criticism may have played a part.

None of the local Councillors or Steve McCabe had been informed by them about proposals, which is why Steve arranged a public meeting once I told him of their plans.

Tuesday has been a really good day.
Here is a list of new planning application for the Brandwood Ward, it's obvious that the current economic situation is having an impact with little or no applications being made, regularly.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=127510&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=12114
You know when you get out of bed, you know today is going to go your way or not, well I knew that today was going to be GREAT. It turned out just as predicted.



Alcohol License Application Pound Road.
First off, I had to attend at The Council House, a License sub-committee representing local residents views on an application to establish another off-license in the Pound Road parade of shops. Clearly after the past history of anti-social behaviour in this area, residents had genuine concerns and didn't want this to go ahead, I had my say, along with some residents who turned up and the local police licensing officer. The sub-committee supported our opinions and didn't grant a license. OK this was the first hurdle, the applicants now can appeal to The Magistrates, so we have to wait 21 days, before we can know if we have won this battle.

Housing and Urban Renewal Overview and Scrutiny.
Talk about an OWN GOAL, well Cabinet member for Housing, Councillor John Lines, who attends everyone of these meetings, scored one today. He criticised a comment I made about how slow his portfolio is about sorting out homes for the most vulnerable households in the private/owner-occupier sector, that on present performance, it will take until the year 2056 before all of the present identified homes are sorted out, to a decent standard. John questioned my figures and sources of information, "where does he really get them from". Luckily I had my USB stick with a copy of a report from HIS department, published in 2007, as we had a computer system set up, I plugged in my stick to the overhead system and embarrassed him by showing the report and figures I used. Clearly he hasn't yet understood "Never ask a question, unless you know the answer in politics", he then upped sticks and left the meeting!!!!!!!!!!!
Exception Report Portfolio 2008 http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/democracy/Pages/AgendaDetail.aspx?AgendaID%3d41917

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=127510&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=12114)

Later in the day went to a HLB meeting in the ward, where again I was the only ward Councillor present, this is now becoming a regular occurrence.



Wednesday I've learnt from a reliable source that The Ashmeadow Public House in Brandwood Park Road, at last is to be demolished. I think I can speak on behalf of ALL Councillors and the local MP Steve McCabe, we along with local residents will be delighted with this news, given the amount of our time spent in arranging to have the building made secure. Almost every time I pass by, there are boards missing and the numerous times the Fire Service have been out to put out deliberately started fires is unacceptable. Rumour has it, the developers will go ahead with the plans to build houses, as approved by the Council's Planning Committee earlier this year.



Thursday, I'm investigating why Travel West Midlands have taken the 76 bus route off in my ward without actually informing anyone and replaced it with 85 route, which is much shorter and doesn't cover the areas which my residents wish to get too.

In addition this new bus route now runs up Brockworth Road (at the rear of Bells Farm School, where we are already trying to get a school crossing warden installed) and terminates at the top, were the Head Teacher and Governors of Bells farm School and Children's Centre have safety concerns for their charges.

Had the third of my new advice centres today at Dell Meadow Centre. These advice centres are extremely busy places, I'm on the go from the time I arrive, with the staff there arranging appointment times and heaven help me if I drag my feet, with large queues, they keep me on my toes, but the regular cuppas are a welcome relief.


Friday, Spent most of the morning discussing Neighbourhood Tasking Meetings with our partner agencies, (mainly The Police Operation Managers), for Selly Oak Constituency. I was there to ensure that Brandwood wasn't given the short end again. What totally surprised me, was a comment By the Constituency Chair, Councillor Nigel Dawkins, who said "If Police Tasking Meetings stopped today, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it". Where else can the public discuss policing maters and get a commitment from the local Police to tackle issues which concern residents?





No comments:

Post a Comment