Friday 31 December 2010

The Sound Of Music Is a Joy To Hear

Is the sound of music to become the sound of silence in our primary schools and beyond?
Like everything else, there are cuts, with cuts in the arts never seen before, even under the Thatcher Governments, the loss of music inside primary schools is about to hit home, unless of course you can afford to pay the Peripatetic teacher who provides the lessons.
Whilst I'm of an age where other than a weekly sing along with my class teacher, no instruments to speak of, except one drum, (I was never chosen to play it), a pair of cymbals and several triangles, there were no other instruments in the school, except for the piano in the school hall and heaven help you if you ever went anywhere near it.
When our children had an opportunity they took it, we made sure they took it and today all four are still involved with music, playing instruments and/or singing to a reasonably good standard.
It's not that I'm arty in any way, but I've see the joy that music can bring in to ones life, me as someone who watches and listens and our off-spring pleasure in playing and singing it. Our children are now striving to provide the same to their children, already our oldest grandchild has a ukulele to train on.

So is it to be the last post for the provision of music in schools? I for one hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment